Do you have a daily habit? Something you look forward to? Some people cross stitch or play guitar or read books. I paint.
I'm an art teacher for 10 months out of the year. In June and July I get a break. The transition from working all day to sleeping late and doing what I want to do is always rocky for me. My routines are all messed up within a week of school ending. I love summer vacation, but it takes a mental toll on me. I lose all self-discipline to get up at a decent time. This is where my daily habit comes in.
It's crazy that during the school year I manage to go to work all day, cook, go to meetings later on and sometimes paint in the evenings. During the summer if I have to get groceries that's enough activity for the whole day. It's like when you have too much time on your hands you really have none. If you have a non-educational job, you probably want to scream at me right now. I know I'm blessed to have such a long break. I'm just saying I don't always make the most of the time I have. During the school year I always make a list of the things I want to do during the summer. When summer comes that list is suddenly way too long. I start thinking, "If I had done small tasks along the way, the list wouldn't be so long."
Well here I am again at the beginning of a long list of summer habits that seems impossible to complete.
Here's what I plan to tackle first:
- Spend more time in prayer and bible reading.
- Paint Daily! I've gotten more disciplined over this year about this habit. It's been easier than it has in the past and I see improvement in my work which is encouraging. I think I can manage this one unless we’re on vacation.
- Keep my home cleaner. It's tough with a family!
- Write on this blog more. I enjoy painting 1000 times more than writing.
- Read more books. Gotta keep that brain sharp.
Do you have any habits you want to improve? Which ones and why?